Our History

FROM the west of Cardiff, Fairwater RFC were first formed in 1966-67.

They were founded by Dave Minto, Tim Driscoll, Reg Regan (who was the first chairman) and ex-Newtown boy John Morgan, who had captained the St David’s side in the past and had moved to Fairwater.

The headquarters was set up in the Bulldog Public House and the rugby club soon became the focal point of area.

Phil Regan became fixture secretary and soon they had established four senior teams and a Youth side and became a family club with players coming through following in their father’s footsteps.

On the playing fields, Fairwater won the Mallett Cup in 1973-74, taking the scalp of Llandaff 3-0.

The following season they lost to the powerful CIACS side 19-0 and sadly, with players moving from the area the side disbanded in 1984.

Then like a phoenix from the ashes in 1988, Phil Regan, who had been working abroad for several years, moved back to Fairwater and he queried where the team was playing.

To his dismay he was told his beloved Fairwater had disbanded.

He looked around the Bulldog, removed a poster from the wall and wrote on the back: “Anybody interested in playing rugby for Fairwater, please contact me.”

With the help of the likes of Manny Brito, Steve Jones, Mike Smith, Ray Leigh, Brendan McAloon and Howard Fox, the club was re-formed.

Peter Phillips the ex-CIACS. player, took over as coach and the response from the players was immense.

They also unofficially brought in Chris O‘Brien, the Fairwater and ex-rugby league player, to help out and the former Cardiff, Newbridge and Wales B full-back McAloon joined the side.

They were followed by Wayne Peckam, the former Wales Youth captain, who took over as player-coach and the club went from strength to strength, becoming a force to reckon with in both cup and league competitions.

When Peckham retired from playing, McAloon took on his legacy and carried on as the club sought more trophies, while several players went on to gain Welsh Districts caps.

Three years ago, McAloon stood down to look after the junior and youth sections and former player Ricky Theaker took over as coach, with Ryan Crimmins his assistant, to carry on the proud tradition of the club.

In 1991, the club, led by Peckham, took the Welsh Brewers Cup, beating the CIACS 13-3 and not conceding a try through the whole of the competion.

In 1992 they lost the final to St Alban’s 21-20; in 1995 they lost another final to Banwen 16-11, but in 2000 Theaker’s team triumphed over Nant Conwy 16-6.

WRU status was gained in 2000.

In 2002 they won Seven East; in 2003 were runners-up in Six East; in 2005 they won Four East and they have been in Three South-East ever since.

In 1993-94 Fairwater hosted Newport in a Swalec Cup fixture at Ashcroft Park and though they lost 24-14, Chris Foley was man of the match and scored a try after just 14 seconds.

Fairwater run a successful mini/junior section with at least 10 current first-teamers having came through those ranks.

This makes the average age of the first team is around 22 and with a couple of experienced players they could become a real force.

Welsh District caps went to Theaker, Peter Hall, Phil Reed, Gary Cleaver, Richard Biston, Chris Foley and Peter Brito.